Google+ Le Baby Bakery: Hungry Caterpillar Week @ Messy Play Google+

Saturday 28 September 2013

Hungry Caterpillar Week @ Messy Play



Oops... just realised that I haven't finished posting about the group messy play sessions I ran in the summer. The next theme I chose was The Very Hungry Caterpillar so that we could cover food, leaves, caterpillars & butterfly's. In the sensory box I popped lots of popcorn, we do have a popcorn maker which made this quite easy, I think I ended up using approx 300g of corn. I then raided our toy kitchen to find all the plastic food that is mentioned in the book & added some scoops & spoons. 


This box was very popular with all the kids, we kept it made up at home the popcorn kept well & still smelt delicious 2  weeks later (though I wouldn't recommend eating any that old, it was OK to play with). 

This week instead painting on the floor I moved it up on to a table so that they could create individual paintings. I was aiming for symmetry butterfly's & sponge circles to make caterpillars. Well the kids had their own ideas and were happy to paint freely, the glitter went down well :-) Joseph (4.5) wanted to make a butterfly so I drew out the shape on half the paper to help him (bottom left pic).


For some floor art I taped some black paper down for chalking. I did have more paper to hand in case they filled it up, but the chalk rubbed away by hand so their was no need. I must remember to do this in the kitchen for the boys on a rainy day!


Using left over coloured pasta from the previous week we made some caterpillars, with pipe cleaners & eyes. This is great for little ones that struggle to thread on to string.


 For the other areas we had:
  • Ball pool
  • Leaf pool - Selection of leaves and pine cones. I used lots of different leaves including bay & mint to add some scent.
  • Button & cotton real threading - which created some nice caterpillars

As usual we had a baby / quiet area, which included the book & a butterfly toy.



At the end of the session I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

x Jo x

For your convenience I have included some Amazon (affiliate) links below


3 comments:

  1. I love these ideas. The leaf pool sounds fun too! Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas! Love that book and the chance for everyone to be messy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea I love doing books and bins! I have a sensory play party on Wednesdays and would for you to come and link up this week!
    http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/creepy-crawly-halloween-water-beads-sensory-bin-sensory-play-party-8/

    ReplyDelete

Google+